This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Installation proposal
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- To: Joel Sherrill <joel dot sherrill at OARcorp dot com>
- Cc: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>, <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:40:46 +0000 (GMT)
- Subject: Re: Installation proposal
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > 4. It's much easier to ensure consistent permissions and such in the
> > final installation if there's only one place where installations
> > are happening. You can make sure that everything has the same
> > ownership, same modes, etc. It's also easy to use something
> > faster than install-sh when you have it because there's only one
> > place you need to do it.
> RTEMS installs with a tar piped into a cd/tar combination so I can
> see this.
GCC uses tar to install some headers in libsubdir/include. This gets
ownerships wrong (files owned by the user who did the build rather than
the one who did the install).
Joseph S. Myers