Re: Installation proposal

--On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:32 PM -0700 Tom Tromey
<tromey@redhat.com> wrote:

> Mark> 3. At install time, run a single script which copies everything
> Mark> in install into prefix.
>
> It isn't quite that simple.

It never is, is it? :-)  I'm confident that there will be some follow-on
work to get the kinks out.

> Don't shared libraries have to be relinked with knowledge of their
> real install location?

I don't know; do they?  I'm not being facetious; I really don't know.

> Sometimes you need to run post-install code, like install-info.

Yes, that's true.  I'm sure there will need to be some special hooks
somewhere for this.

> This requires even more disk space than is already required.  I'm
> probably the last person alive who actually cares about this.

Yes, you probably are. :-)  If we do the bit where we build during into
the "install" directory, then you don't need any more disk space than you
do now.  You're right that until/unless that happens, more disk space will
be needed.

Do you have a bottom-line opinion on whether or not you think the change
would be a benefit or a hindrance?

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC