This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Installation proposal
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:59:38 +0000 (GMT)
- Subject: Re: Installation proposal
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> 3. At install time, run a single script which copies everything in
> install into prefix.
Please ensure that this installs all shared libraries (most importantly
libgcc, but the others as well) in a safe manner. install-sh doesn't
handle that properly at present. Safe means that the shared library is
always available for any other processes started at any time; the
installed files need to be copied to a temporary name, that renamed to the
final name, and then if there's a symlink from the soname to the name of
the library file, that must be redirected to point to the new file
> What's good about this?
5. Supporting DESTDIR with this new system is trivial.
Joseph S. Myers