rtl dependency

hello,

 I have observed that different cross compilers
produce different RTL for the same peice of code.
Does this mean that unoptimized RTL generated is
dependent on target description macros if yes then
which macros? or is it only dependent on machine
descriptions? Further what would I have to do to
produce load store RTL instructions for a
initialization such as i=4;

thanking in advance,
danish