Re: Get rid of libtool? [was Re: Makefile problems]

On Feb 25, 2002, Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 03:17:02AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 2002, Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I agree here; it seems we spend more time undoing libtool's abstraction
>> > than libtool spends adding it.  :-)
>>
>> Do you really mean this?  I'd like to know of such situations, in
>> which you had to undo libtool's abstraction.  That's pretty sad.

> Mainly I'm referring to the current situation.

Aha!  So, it turns out that the current situation had nothing at all
to do with libtool.  The whole issue was on how to pass -shared-libgcc
to the link command issued by libtool, and the implications of doing
so for other systems.

Ok, I'll give you that libtool made this non-optimal by requiring such
flag to already be present at its configuration time, which is what
confused RTH.  IMO, this may be addressed in future releases of
libtool.  But hey! if this is all you have to count in as `undoing
libtool's abstraction', then it seems that you're pretty satisfied
with it :-)