This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: libstdc++ libtool lossage
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:35:30 +0000 (GMT)
- Subject: Re: libstdc++ libtool lossage
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> 4. To build "libstdc++.so", we used "gcc -shared", not "g++ -shared".
> Both commands had identical behavior with respect to libgcc, but
> the latter implicitly links in "libstdc++.so", which doesn't make
> sense since that's what we're building.
Long term, we want collect2 to work out which language runtime libraries
to link in (to handle programs with parts in many languages). This may
mean we do eventually need some sort of special option to disable linking
in the library for the language whose runtime we're building, even if we
build that with gcc -shared. (See the beginner.html projects list.)
Joseph S. Myers