Re: libstdc++ libtool lossage

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> 4. To build "libstdc++.so", we used "gcc -shared", not "g++ -shared".
>    Both commands had identical behavior with respect to libgcc, but
>    the latter implicitly links in "libstdc++.so", which doesn't make
>    sense since that's what we're building.

Long term, we want collect2 to work out which language runtime libraries
to link in (to handle programs with parts in many languages).  This may
mean we do eventually need some sort of special option to disable linking
in the library for the language whose runtime we're building, even if we
build that with gcc -shared.  (See the beginner.html projects list.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk