Re: libstdc++ libtool lossage

I would strongly prefer that we not change the semantics of -shared
or -shared-libgcc for any of the compiler drivers.  We hashed this
through very carefully before GCC 3.0 and I think the decisions were
rational.

gcc and g++ handled "-shared" differently because it was thought that
C users would benefit from not having to deal with the shared libgcc,
where as C++ users simply have to deal with it; otherwise, their
programs will not, in general, work.

Alexandre, would you please back up and tell me (who is having a hard
time sorting through tens of email messages about this) the following
things:

1. Why are we doing anything?  What is the problem that we started
   trying to solve last week?  What goes wrong?

2. How have we tried to solve it thus far?  What changes have we
   made, why have we made them, and what to they do?

I don't have any kind of special authority here (this isn't really a
release issue), but I think I can probably help out if you can spell
these things out.

Thank you,