Re: PATCH: Correct diff-generation in release scripts

--On Friday, February 22, 2002 09:44:53 AM +0000 "Joseph S. Myers"
<jsm28@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
>> The reason that were no diffs was that the diff-generation logic
>> in the release script was broken.
>
> "was broken" isn't a particularly helpful problem description.

The script did not correctly handle "-p /home/mitchell/ftp/gcc-3.0.3"
where that was a directory containing all the previous tarballs.

Perhaps that's not what -p was supposed to do, but that's what it should
do; it makes it easy to generate all the new tarballs.  The old version
of the code strips this back to "/home/mitchell/ftp" and then can't
find the files.

> Tested how (the normal method I use is to run a snapshot manually with the
> new version)?

By generating the diffs that I posted.

> Will this work with snapshots (which run locally, and did force SCP to be
> cp and the path to be just a directory)?

Yes, if you put a key without a passphrase in ~gccadmin/.ssh.  If that's
considered unsafe, you can write a little script to use in place of scp,
or add logic to allow you to get the old behavior.  This new logic allows
the same code to upload the release to both ftp.gnu.org and gcc.gnu.org.