Re: Performance with Intel Foster chip

> I believe these units are visiable via hyperthreading functionallity, so
> any code that is multithreaded can take advantage of that (with some kernel
> side tunning).

HT simply turns a single processor, whose internal functional units
are often idle or stalled, into two processors.  the hope is to "soak up"
some of those idle units, and/or to overlap stalled and busy areas.
the OS interface is almost exactly like you simply doubled each CPU -
you have to boot them, appear to have separate registers, mmu context,
bios suddenly shows 2x, etc.

I don't see any involvement of gcc, except that it lessens the
accuracy of the cost predictions that drive instruction selection.

OTOH, is anyone working on gcc support for openMP-like thread awareness?

regards, mark hahn.