This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC 3.0.4 Released
- From: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot COM>
- To: jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk (Joseph S. Myers)
- Cc: jbuck at synopsys dot COM (Joe Buck),mark at codesourcery dot com (Mark Mitchell),gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org (gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org)
- Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:02:42 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: GCC 3.0.4 Released
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Joe Buck wrote:
> > You're thinking of developers as opposed to end users, who will only be
> > using FSF releases. For them, diffs from 3.0.4 to 3.1 will be useful if
> > the size is substantially smaller than just downloading 3.1.
> They're also quite likely to run into limitations of gcc_update - even if
> they do run it after patching to adjust timestamps, by design it touches
> files in CVS only, so the timestamps of generated files that aren't in CVS
> may well be wrong after patching.
If the patch is ordered in such a way that diffs to derived files appear after
diffs to the base files, then gcc_update is not needed.