Re: GCC 3.0.4 Released

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Joe Buck wrote:

> You're thinking of developers as opposed to end users, who will only be
> using FSF releases.  For them, diffs from 3.0.4 to 3.1 will be useful if
> the size is substantially smaller than just downloading 3.1.

They're also quite likely to run into limitations of gcc_update - even if
they do run it after patching to adjust timestamps, by design it touches
files in CVS only, so the timestamps of generated files that aren't in CVS
may well be wrong after patching.  (This will happen with info files
non-critically even with minor releases, and sometimes with
Bison-generated files in minor releases, but is much more likely to happen
for major releases.)

We may well also find during the 3.1 series (or for diffs 3.0.4 to 3.1 if
we create those) that I was overly optimistic to include -a in the diff
options in gcc_release, and that where binary files (compiled message
catalogs) change, diffs with -a cause problems for too many users, in
which case we'd need to go back to incomplete diffs (excluding changes to
compiled message catalogs) instead.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk