GCC 3.0 branch

The version.c files on the 3.0 branch have been reset to "prerelease",
so the 3.0 branch is now reopened.

Note that I do not plan to make any more releases from this branch.

Still, it's fine to check things in there in case we do at some point
want to make another release or so that users can pull relatively stable
code from that branch.  Please continue to follow the usual 3.0 branch
rules: the changes should fix regressions from previous versions of the
compiler.

Thank you,