Re: libstdc++ libtool lossage

On Feb 21, 2002, Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 06:38:20PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> How about arranging for -fexceptions (implied or not) to imply
>> -shared-libgcc (if a shared libgcc is available), and -fno-exceptions
>> (implied or not) to imply -static-libgcc?

> Um, ok, but how does this change the current situation one iota?

It appears to me that it makes it easier to get libstdc++-v3 and
libjava to link with -lgcc_s instead of -lgcc.  All I'd have to do is
to add -fexceptions to CXX_FOR_TARGET, instead of having to test
whether -lgcc_s is available to decide whether to add -shared-libgcc
to the link command or not.

But then, perhaps -shared-libgcc is a do-nothing if no shared libgcc
is built already?  Gotta check.

Still, it gives a way to enable the shared libgcc without requiring
one to test which version of gcc is in use.  Well, at least assuming
you've got some version of gcc that accepts -fexceptions.

I agree this doesn't concern libstdc++ and libjava, but it may be of
concern to other packages that are built using GCC.