This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Commercial Development
- From: Daniel Berlin <dan at dberlin dot org>
- To: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot com>
- Cc: Robert Dewar <dewar at gnat dot com>, <M dot Wenke at web dot de>, <gcc at gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:55:24 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: Commercial Development
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Joe Buck wrote:
> > > There is a distinction between "unauthorized practice of law" and "giving
> > > legal advice".
> > Not in most cases.
> Nolo Press has won several court cases overturning many restrictions on
> giving legal advice as first amendment violations.
Actually, they lost.
What happened, as i said, is that a law was passed saying it's okay to
produce products like they did, as long as they state it's not a
substitute for an attorney.
Since they did, the case was dropped by the UPL.
Nowhere, did the first amendment come into play.
> See for example http://www.nolo.com/texas/index.cfm
I'm quite aware of Nolo, actually, but thanks.
> But this is off topic, so if folks want to argue with me, we can do so
> by mail.
Works for me.