This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Commercial Development
- From: kenner at vlsi1 dot ultra dot nyu dot edu (Richard Kenner)
- To: jbuck at synopsys dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 19 Feb 02 14:48:55 EST
- Subject: Re: Commercial Development
There is a distinction between "unauthorized practice of law" and
"giving legal advice".
> In addition, their is a federal law that makes it illegal for a
> non-lawyer to give legal advice across state lines.
All such laws are superseded by the First Amendment if they overreach and
attempt to block speech.
As I understand it, the distinction is whether something is being presented
as fact or as opinion. It's always OK to state an opinion, if it's
presented as such. What can get you into trouble is when somebody
asks what's clearly a legal question and you give an answer that
purports to know what's "correct".