Re: libstdc++ libtool lossage

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 10:48:56AM -0500, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> I'd guess this is an issue for libgcj as well.

Perhaps, I havn't checked.  It doesn't use the special hack in
configure.in, so its --tag=CXX doesn't get changed out from
under libtool.

> > 	(1a) libstdc++.so is built with xgcc instead of g++,
>
> But it is also built with --tag=CXX so libtool would try to do the right
> thing, I suppose.

It doesn't.

> (I had thought it was decided long ago that -shared would imply
> -shared-libgcc, or had I imagined it?)

We now have PT_GNU_EH_FRAME on some systems.  This allows us to not
call __register_frame_info from crtbegin, which means that plain C
shared libraries don't need any of the EH routines.  Which means that
we can avoid depending on libgcc_s.so when not necessary.

> > There is no way it should be this difficult to build a stinking
> > shared library.
>
> Provided a GNU-ish system with glibc etc., it's really quite easy.

It's really quite easy on solaris, irix, and tru64 as well.  Pass
one argument to ld and it Just Works.

> That's not why libtool exists...

I know, but I'm less and less interested in such systems as time
goes by.

> (What in heck does automake have to do with it?)

It's another thing that I don't understand, have to fight from
time to time, and don't see any advantage from using.

r~