Re: Experiment: gcc and doxygen

Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 08:31:14PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> Phil Edwards <phil@jaj.com> writes:
>>
>> > 2)  GraphViz is from AT&T (http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/),
>> >     with a spinoff at www.graphviz.org, and last time I checked required
>> >     strange AT&T tools to build from source.  Get a prebuilt binary.
>>
>> GraphViz is not free software, at least that's my reading of the
>> license.
>
> Quoting from their download page:
>
>     graphviz is open source licensed software. It may be redistributed
>     without cost in other software distributions, as long as the license
>     terms (such as redistributing the source intact) are met. We believe
>     the license conforms to the Open Source Definition but they won't tell
>     us their decision.

Have you looked at the license?  They require that you license all
modifications of their software to them, which I consider far too
intrusive.  In addition, in a few jurisdictions (particularly in
Europe), the extent of license grants is limited by law, so in some
cases, you cannot offer them a license with such a broad scope at all!