Re: GCC 3.0.3 on Solaris 2.5.1

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:39:36AM -0500, Jeff Sturm wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Martin Kahlert wrote:
> > I have my private installation on that machine because i am not root on it
> > and so i always have the $prefix/bin dir (including binutils) at the
> > very beginning of my PATH.
>
> Note that gcc ignores PATH when searching for as/ld/etc.  It's safest to
> use --with-as/--with-ld when configuring.  (Probably gcc needs to be more
> careful than blindly trusting --with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld.)

'gcc' in fact uses the "specs" to locate everything.  You can dump the
specs [-dumpspecs], modify your local file, and use those specs
[-specs=filename].

In fact, the --with-as/--with-ld/--with-gnu-as/--with-gnu-ld are flags
to configure for the build, and do not seem necessarily to force 'gcc'
to use these once it is compiled.  I could be wrong about this.  But
the specs file was the same both with and without these flags, and they
allowed for finding both GNU binutils [if there, and after a
"bootstrap" make] and traditional Sun CCS utils.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy@center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B