Re: GCC 3.0.3 on Solaris 2.5.1

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 08:18:41AM +0100, Martin Kahlert wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 02:50:58PM -0500, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
> > However, there is evidence that shared libraries compiled with this
> > install cause binaries using those libraries to core dump after running.
> > This causes me concern.  Per the notice that has appeared on the
> > www.sunfreeware.com Web site, and unless someone has an explanation and
> > fix [and a good reason not to], I'll be reverting to 2.95.3 and Sun
> > utils.
>
> I do not know if it helps you, but perhaps the problem is the same as in
> the gnats problem report 3982?
>
> The problem seems to go away, when you avoid binutils completely.
> I configured with
> configure --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
>
> This version seems to be more reliable.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Martin.

Thanks.  It did seem, on later reflection, that it was binutils doing
this.  But on the www.sunfreeware.com Web page - hardly the ultimate
authority on gcc, but certainly more Sun experience than me - it does
say [of 3.0.3]: "This package also <strong>requires</strong> that you
install the GNU binutils package and use the programs from this package
rather than the Solaris assembler and loaders. For details on this
release, go to the GCC Home Page. If you are not sure you need this new
version, you might stick with 2.95.3 until it has been tested. This new
version is not yet offered on SPARC/Solaris 2.5.1 where the use of
2.95.3 is recommended."

I have gone back to 2.95.3 + ccs, even though I have not yet tracked
down the sources of the above recommendations.

The 'db' package has uttered a complaint:

"*** Warning: Releases of GCC earlier than version 3.0 cannot reliably
*** create self contained shared libraries on Solaris systems, without
*** introducing a dependency on libgcc.a.  Therefore, libtool is disabling
*** -no-undefined support, which will at least allow you to build shared
*** libraries.  However, you may find that when you link such libraries
*** into an application without using GCC, you have to manually add
*** `gcc --print-libgcc-file-name` to the link command.  We urge you to
*** upgrade to a newer version of GCC.  Another option is to rebuild your
*** current GCC to use the GNU linker from GNU binutils 2.9.1 or newer."

which is why I had initially gone to gcc 3.0.3 + binutils 2.11.2.  But
this time I am ignoring the message.  ;-/

I will look at the GNATS item.

OBTW, thanks for cc'ing me directly, since I have not subscribed to the
mailing list [sorry, too many already!].

--
Joe Yao				jsdy@center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B