Re: GCC 3.0.4, GCC 3.1, GCC 3.2

On Feb 13, 2002, David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

> 	Because of the libgcc problem which has just come to light, I
> request that the GCC 3.0.4 release and the GCC 3.1 branch be placed on
> hold.

I don't see the point of delaying the branch and maintaining all
developers on hold for new developments, even those that don't even
know about AIX and HP-UX, is a reasonable request.  Hopefully, the fix
will be simple enough that it will be easily back-ported to the
branch, assuming a solution is not found before it is created.  It's
not like installing the same patch on multiple branches is rocket
science :-)

I'd even go ahead and volunteer to create the branch on the 15th, as
planned, so that Mark can keep focused on 3.0.4 and we can stick to
the original plan.  Creating a branch is cheap, and easy, so I don't
see a reason to not reopen mainline on the planned time.

> 	With the patch in question, GCC 3.0.4 has regressed for HPPA and
> without the patch, GCC 3.0.4 has regressed for AIX.  Therefore, it is
> inadvisable to proceed with a release until this is resolved.

I agree with this.  GCC 3.0.4 must be delayed.  In the worst case, we
may have to use platform-dependent defines to enable or disable the
contention feature.  But, again, platforms that are not affected by
this patch should not be affected by the contention point either,
IMHO.

> 	Branching GCC 3.1 with a known, serious failure and regression on
> the trunk after having made such progress stabilizing the trunk for a
> branch is a waste of effort.

I hereby volunteer to install the change that makes it to the 3.0
branch and to mainline into the 3.1 branch :-)