This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: GCC 3.0.4, GCC 3.1, GCC 3.2
- From: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot COM>
- To: dje at watson dot ibm dot com (David Edelsohn)
- Cc: mark at codesourcery dot com (Mark Mitchell), gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:32:21 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: GCC 3.0.4, GCC 3.1, GCC 3.2
David Edelsohn writes:
> Because of the libgcc problem which has just come to light, I
> request that the GCC 3.0.4 release and the GCC 3.1 branch be placed on
> hold. A patch necessary for AIX has caused a regression on HPPA. This
> patch is in both the GCC 3.1 development trunk and the GCC 3.0 branch.
> With the patch in question, GCC 3.0.4 has regressed for HPPA and
> without the patch, GCC 3.0.4 has regressed for AIX. Therefore, it is
> inadvisable to proceed with a release until this is resolved.
I agree that this issue should be resolved for 3.0.4.
> Branching GCC 3.1 with a known, serious failure and regression on
> the trunk after having made such progress stabilizing the trunk for a
> branch is a waste of effort.
It certainly seems that if we branch before fixing it, we then have to fix
three distinct branches (3.0.4, 3.1, 3.2).