Re: need help with 176.gcc from SPEC CPU2000 on LP64 with GCC 3

I got all of the cint2000 benchmarks working on ia64-linux last summer.
Except eon that is, because eon was not valid ISO C++ at the time.  SPEC
has already fixed this.  I haven't tried them since though.  I tried again
today.  It took a while, because OS updates and filesystem reorgs badly broke
my spec2000 install dir, but I did manage to get a successful 176.gcc run using
a gcc checked out today.

Looking at my notes, I see I did make a bug fix to 176.gcc.  SPEC modified
the obstack API, but did not change the obstack version number.  This can
fail on linux (maybe only on 64-bit host?) because we then link against
the obstack in libc.so which implements the wrong API.  This is also probably
against the spirit of SPEC.  There is probably more such trickery in other
places.  Anyways, to double check, I removed my patch, tried to run 176.gcc,
and got a segfault in memset as you reported.  Someone should point out this
problem to SPEC.

I also have patches for 186.crafty and 253.perlbmk, but those are pretty
obvious configuration changes so you may not need them.

*** ./benchspec/CINT2000/176.gcc/src/obstack.c.orig	Wed Jun 13 18:21:42 2001
--- ./benchspec/CINT2000/176.gcc/src/obstack.c	Wed Jun 13 18:22:28 2001
*************** Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA
*** 20,26 ****
  /* NOTE BEFORE MODIFYING THIS FILE: This version number must be
     incremented whenever callers compiled using an old obstack.h can no
     longer properly call the functions in this obstack.c.  */
! #define OBSTACK_INTERFACE_VERSION 1

  /* Comment out all this code if we are using the GNU C Library, and are not
     actually compiling the library itself, and the installed library
  /* NOTE BEFORE MODIFYING THIS FILE: This version number must be
     incremented whenever callers compiled using an old obstack.h can no
     longer properly call the functions in this obstack.c.  */
! /* SPEC uses a modified version of obstack incompatible with all other versions
!    of obstack.  */