Re: std::collate hash() still broken

In a message dated 10/02/2002 03:39:18 a.m. Pacific Standard Time, pcarlini@unitus.it writes:
>Probably you are right, but I have trouble reproducing >the problem you are mentioning.

Sorry, my mistake.  Take a look at these:

String: xxxxx
8f1e3c78
String: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
9f3e7cf9

String: fffff
6cd9b366
String: ffffffffffff
6cd9b366

Notice the simularity in each.  Now I have about zero hashing skillz, but I think this a kind of funnel.. a more severe kind =[  For one reason or another, you aren't supposed to 'compact' bits or even worse 'discard' bits (which is what the previous one did.. discarded 31 of 32 bits..)..  you need just a normal rotate.

Now.. whether 7 is the number to use or not.. i have no idea.. I've seen 5 and 6 used as well..  but rot7 was what was here before so..

Thanks,

AaronWL