Re: Status of GCC memory checking, -fcheck-memory-usage

I've always liked Checker. I use it regularly on C code.

I think a tool like Checker is really necessary in the free software
world. It is much better to have a free and integrated tool than to tell
users to go and buy purify/insure.

<rant>
Why are there lots of duplicated efforts on simple and way inferior
malloc debug libraries? What a waste. The world needs only one of
them, and Checker's is fine. (But should be stand-alone).

The state of many Unix tools (and their security) would greatly
benefit from creating a checkerized version of e.g. Debian Linux.  I
don't think we can lean back and think that all buffer overflows have
been found. And we shouldn't wait for them to be discovered by chance
or malice.
</rant>

Checker needs
1.  instrumenting some of the more exotic functions in glibc
2.  instrumenting libstdc++
3.  instrumenting libX11 (perhaps)
4.  advertising so more people use it

But most of all, since Tristan stopped, Checker needs a project
lead.

Claus

--
Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com>