Re: Several snapshots on the same system?

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 12:21:49AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> I'm not sure the GCC docs are the proper place to teach about all
> sorts of caveats of Unix shells.  The original Bourne shell does not
> even handle ~ especially, and other shells such as ksh and bash only
> handle ~ especially when it appears unquoted in the beginning of a
> command-line argument.

Recent versions of bash (I don't know what the minimum version number is)
only require the tilde to appear at the beginning of something that could
be a path, e.g.,

    --prefix=/this/is/a/~weird/patch

the tilde will not be expanded, but in

    --prefix=~/install

it will be.  Likwise for things like

    PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:~/bin:/opt/bin

the tilde will be expanded here.  I was quite surprised when I first
discovered this; even tab completion will still work when typing such
constructs.

Users should definitely be writing $HOME other than ~ when specifying
--prefix arguments, however.

Phil