Re: Help with Gcc-3.0.3 cross-compile

On Feb  9, 2002, Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.COM> wrote:

> Jim Wilson writes:
>> This is an assembler error, which means the cross-gcc is probably trying
>> to run the native assembler instead of the cross-assembler.

> This is such a common error for people trying to do cross-compiles that
> maybe we should think about how to detect the situation automatically,
> perhaps at installation time.  Maybe something as simple as trying to
> build "hello world", looking for cascades of errors from the assembler,
> and if seen spit out some standard blurb.

We already have a program that we link as soon as libgcc is created;
perhaps we could compile and assemble that program before starting to
build libgcc, and print some long error message explaining potential
problems and solutions if the program fails to compile?

Perhaps we could even split the compilation in assembly-generation and
assembling, such as to be able to tell whether the problem is the lack
of target libraries or of an assembler.