Re: Several snapshots on the same system?

On Feb  8, 2002, "Tom Womack" <tom@womack.net> wrote:

> Sorry. I'd claimed that I'd typed
> "../gcc-SNAPSHOT/configure --prefix=/home/twomack/gcc-3.1/gcc-SNAPSHOT-obj -
> -program-suffix=-3.1-SNAPSHOT", but in fact I'd said
> "--prefix=~/gcc-3.1/..."

> This seems to have caused significant trouble -- I found several directories
> called "~" in the gcc-build directory, which were rather worrying to delete
> (rm -f "~" is not a nerve-calming command).

> Would it be worth putting a patch in gcc/doc/install.texi around line 362
> suggesting that using tilde-style prefixes can cause trouble?

I'm not sure the GCC docs are the proper place to teach about all
sorts of caveats of Unix shells.  The original Bourne shell does not
even handle ~ especially, and other shells such as ksh and bash only
handle ~ especially when it appears unquoted in the beginning of a
command-line argument.