Re: Status of GCC memory checking, -fcheck-memory-usage

AWLaFramboise <AWLaFramboise@aol.com> writes:

> i know little of gcc's internals..  (or what you guys are talking about
> :( ) Does this mean it is unlikely -fcheck-memory-usage will be replaced
> anytime soon?

Yes, I think that's a reasonable statement.

> I've read the old posts.. but I don't really understand what was wrong
> with it in the first place.. is it possible the old code can be retained
> until something that corrects its flaws is hammered out?

I believe that the problem with it was that it didn't actually work, and
no one really expected it to fully work any time in the near future.
That's at least the impression that I got.

There are numerous debugging malloc libraries available, as well as
Electric Fence.  They may not be as comprehensive, but I've found them
useful from time to time.