Re: GCJ problem on RS/6000

Tom Tromey wrote:

>Martyn> Anyone able to help?
>
>Does he say what version he is using?
>I know we've changed the handling of "$" in the recent past, but
>offhand I don't recall the details.

The long story:

Java uses "$" as the namespace separator for nested (inner) classes.
Unfortunatly a few platforms (ie AIX) don't allow this character in
assembler labels. The idea is for the config for such platforms to
declare NO_DOLLAR_IN_LABEL and the compiler will mangle occurances of
"$" into something else. Even more unfortunatly C++ ignores this, and
elfos.h incorrectly defines it, which make it more or less useless. To
make it do something useful, the C++ and Java front-ends need to agree
on a common mangling for "$" when the platform does not allow it, and
elfos.h needs to stop defining it. Or, even better, some generic part of
the compiler (varasm?) could do the mangling when it sees
NO_DOLLAR_IN_LABEL.

regards

Bryce.