OT: good I18N/L10N introduction?

Hey, I'm looking for a decent introduction to the issues surrounding
internationalization and localization. GCC seems to be pretty I18ized,
and I was already on the mailing list, so I figured I'd ask here. =)

Context: I've just finished a remote-display / GUI framework
(www.xwt.org), and I'd like to make it easy for apps written on the
framework to be internationalized. I'd also like it to be possible for
third parties to localize applications whose authors never bothered
thinking about I18N (out-of-band L10N). I'm looking for some material
to tell me what pitfalls to watch out for.

  - a