Re: Status of Bugzilla?

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:48:34AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> There are enough complications about the present system that a full
> working demonstration of the Bugzilla system would help see exactly what
> happens when.

What exactly do you want to see?  Daniel has set up
such a system which he mentioned here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-12/msg01113.html

and he mentioned adding e-mail input capability here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-01/msg00912.html

> > gccbug email isn't actually as important as you'd think.
> > It only accounts for 20% of bug reports.
> > By percentage, in fact, it's been going down steadily.

I concur with Daniel on this one, based on how I am
seeing bugs being filed in GNATS.

> Then too many people are failing to read or follow the documentation about
> bug reporting (unless the use of pre-3.0 versions without gccbug is going
> *up*, which would be very odd).

Whether you like it or not, many people find that a web interface
is more intuitive for filing bug reports than a gccbug shell
script.  It reflects the reality of what goes on in
industry, and in many other open source projects.

We've had this discussion before in this thread:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-01/msg00429.html

gccbug is not going away, and neither is the Web.
So let's put the work into improving both methods
for bug reporting, and improve the overall workflow
for how bugs are reported and resolved.

This will hopefully improve the GCC project's
service to its "customers", who are the
end-users of GCC.
--
Craig Rodrigues