Re: Status of Bugzilla?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> Bugzilla auto-cc's whoever wants to be cc'd about a given bug.
>
> There is a cc list attached to each bug.
> You can group add yourself to the cc list of any/all bugs you are
> interested in.
>
> Anytime it sends out a change message, it also copies it to a mailing
> list.
>
> But they look just like normal change messages, so there is no point in me
> setting up a list or three.
> Nor am i going to.

There are enough complications about the present system that a full
working demonstration of the Bugzilla system would help see exactly what
happens when.

I'm doubtful about the need for the separate gcc-bugs and gcc-prs lists.
At present, however, most messages go to both, but followups emailed to
PRs just go to gcc-prs (perhaps with a presumption that the original
followup message was CC:ed to gcc-bugs - though in the case of messages
generated by CVS, it of course wasn't).  Where do emailed followups to bug
reports go with the Bugzilla system?  Are the relevant messages also sent
to java-prs, in addition to the main gcc lists?

Do changes to bug categories, priorities, milestones, etc., all generate
messages to the list/lists?  One of the deficiencies of the GNATS system
is that they don't - I don't like there being silent changes to such
things.

Do new attachments (and attachments in newly submitted bug reports with
the web interface) get mailed to the lists (as proper MIME attachments),
as they should?

(One thing about the Bugzilla demonstration system I think I asked before:
how is it determined which accounts have what access to the system?
Clearly for a production system, the accounts with GNATS write access
would map directly to corresponding access for the corresponding accounts
(only) in Bugzilla, though not necessarily preserving the GNATS
passwords.)

> gccbug email isn't actually as important as you'd think.
> It only accounts for 20% of bug reports.
> By percentage, in fact, it's been going down steadily.

Then too many people are failing to read or follow the documentation about
bug reporting (unless the use of pre-3.0 versions without gccbug is going
*up*, which would be very odd).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk