This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Build failure with 3.1 CVS on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
- From: Jeff Sturm <jsturm at one-point dot com>
- To: Kenneth Lareau <elessar at numenor dot org>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:06:47 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: Build failure with 3.1 CVS on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Kenneth Lareau wrote:
> ../configure --with-cpu=ultrasparc --prefix=/usr/local/gcc
You cannot bootstrap the 64-bit compiler with a 32-bit compiler.
The GCC build framework doesn't currently distinguish between build
libraries and host libraries, so effectively it requires (build == host)
for a bootstrap.
If you omit --with-cpu=ultrasparc the bootstrap will be
straightforward, resulting in a compiler that can run on a 32-bit host but
still generate executables for 64-bit ultrasparc.
Bootstrapping in two steps as you say is one workaround, building a cross
compiler is another.