Re: a warning to implement

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 06:12:48PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Phil Edwards wrote:
> > I agree that the warning shouldn't be in -Wall, but I think we could do
> > a better job of educating our users about the GCC features which are not
> > as well-known.  Non-Wall warnings seem to fall into this category.
>
> New options like these should go into release announcements.

Agreed, but think "new users" rather than "new options".  There are non-Wall
warning options which have been in GCC since long before the first time I
used GCC as a student; it took me a while to learn about them.  Even if the
"new" options had been listed in the release announcements at the time,
it wouldn't have helped me as a new user months/years later.

All my prof told us was, "use -Wall," and arguably it's his fault for
failing to add, "and if you can figure out how to use the info(1) command,
read the GCC manual for the rest of the warning options."  :-)

Phil