Re: Loop unrolling-related SPEC regressions?

On Tuesday 05 February 2002 04:29, Jan Hubicka wrote:

> > > Didn't I mention it that way?  Feel free to send a patch for my SPEC
> > > page to clarify what we're doing...
> >
> > Of course, compilers which are sold on the basis of SPEC base performance
> > have different approach to default options than gcc.  One expects the
> > base option set to be the one which is the best single setting conforming
> > to the limit on number of options, to obtain the highest rating.  Thus, a
> > compiler such as Intel's makes a simple option package such as
> > 'icc -xW -Oi-'
> > roughly equivalent to
> > 'gcc -msse2 -march=pentium4 -Os -funroll-loops
> > -mpreferred-stack-boundary=4 -ffast-math'
>
> I am playing with the idea of making -O behaving like -f and allowing
> -Ospeed "optimize for maximal speed for common circmuatens" and -Osize.  We
> can also invent -O[no]debug "prohibit optimizations that make debugging
> dificult, like tail call optimization, frame pointer ellimination, or
> (currently) register renaming", or -Odangerous "enable language standard
> breaking transformations".
I thought that was the meaning of -ffast-math, or do you mean some
combination of optimization which includes -ffast-math and -funroll-loops?

> Perhaps that can be usefull not only to "fit in" the spec2000 rules, but
> also to avoid confusion of users. Many benchmarks published uses far from
> "sane" compilation switches.
Yes, there is a need for a simple switch which includes most "sane"
optimizations which are useful for a specified architecture, even if it is
not quite sufficient for a good SPEC score.