Re: Need some help

On Feb  6, 2002, "Syed Naqvi" <snaqvi@cmdmail.amd.com> wrote:

> I am asking about Linux x86 machines using redhat.

With development versions of GCC, I believe you can already tell GCC
to generate code for the 64-bit AMD processor, but I don't know
whether the port is fully functional already.  Basically, it doesn't
matter on which machine you run the compiler, as long as it's
configured and built to generate code for the machine you want.  You
could surely build a cross compiler for say --target=x86_64-whatever,
even if your build machine was say sparc and the resulting compiler
was supposed to run on say mips.