Re: a warning to implement

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 11:48:19PM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com> writes:
> |
> | If we add a new warning to -Wall, people will discover bugs in their code
> | quickly.  If we add a new warning but not to -Wall, 99% of gcc users will
> | be unaware of the new warning and never use it.
>
> I'm skeptical: New warnings were added, but not in -Wall, and yet
> people got aware of it.

Yes, but only slowly, over time, as they read the manual in desparation.  :-)

I agree that the warning shouldn't be in -Wall, but I think we could do
a better job of educating our users about the GCC features which are not
as well-known.  Non-Wall warnings seem to fall into this category.

No, I don't have any immediate ideas on how to do this.  ("GCC's Feature
of the Week for this week is:  Warnings Not Included In -Wall"...)

Phil