This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PATCH: Fix ll/sc for mips (take 3)
- From: Hartvig Ekner <hartvige at mips dot com>
- To: hjl at lucon dot org (H . J . Lu)
- Cc: justinca at ri dot cmu dot edu (Justin Carlson), dan at debian dot org (Daniel Jacobowitz), macro at ds2 dot pg dot gda dot pl (Maciej W. Rozycki), machida at sm dot sony dot co dot jp (Hiroyuki Machida), libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com, linux-mips at oss dot sgi dot com, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:49:29 +0100 (MET)
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix ll/sc for mips (take 3)
H . J . Lu writes:
> Does everyone agree with this? If yes, I can make a patch not to use
> branch likely. But on the other hand, "gcc -mips2" will generate code
> using branch likely. If branch likely doesn't buy you anything,
> shouldn't we change gcc not to generate branch likely instructions?
I would say it's still too early to actively remove them. There are many
processors out there (certainly in the embedded world most of them)
without branch prediction, and for all of those branch-likelys actually