Re: GCC 3.0.3 produces large code

>    I agree, like I said, small functions should be optimised for space
> really, large functions with big loops for speed. Actually, most of my
> inner loops are in assembly language, so for the C++ code I actually
> prefer size optimisation so that as much will stay in cache as possible.

I don't see any reason why this should be true in general.  What should
happen in my view is that a user who has strong ideas like this would
be free to sort his/her functions into separate compilation units, using
-Os to optimize some for space and -O2 or -O3 to optimize others for
speed.  And yes, we're aware that 3.0.x doesn't do as good a job as it
should in either department (optimizing for space or speed), but 3.1
will be at least somewhat better.