Re: ports to 2.96 and 3.1 versions

Excerpt of message (sent 27 January 2002) by Marc Espie:
> This is one place that ought to be completely revisited. The time needed
> to process copyright assignment papers is astounding. The fore-knowledge
> needed to be able to participate in any FSF process is fairly large (even
> knowing that those papers exist is not trivial, choosing which ones to
> sign is not easy, and it takes at the least 3 months to do that).

No, it doesn't.

I just went through that process.  It took about 3 weeks.  The reason
it took that long was because of vacations around the new year
holidays.

It may well be that the process could be made simpler (but remember
that this is a legal process, and those tend to be more complex than
you would expect).  And it may be that it sometimes takes too long.
But "at least 3 months" is false.

    paul