Re: successful build 3.0.3 and CVS branch

Janis Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:29:56PM -0600, Tom Crispin wrote:
> > configured with --enable-languages=cp
> >
> > gcc 3.0.3 and the CVS tree from 1/15/02 built successfully on a VIA C3
> > and -- Linux version 2.2.19-6.2.1 (root@porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
> > version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Mon Apr 9
> > 21:59:11 EDT 2001
> >
> > [Although the native compiler used was really GCC 3.0.1]
>
> Thank you for your report, but I don't know what a VIA C3 is; please
> send the output of running config.guess in the source directory, as
> requested in the instructions for reporting a successful build (part of
> the Final Install section of the installation instructions for a
> release, or at http://gcc.gnu.org/install/finalinstall.html).  For
> GNU/Linux systems we also request that you report the version of glibc
> on your system.
>
> I'll add your report to the GCC 3.0 build status list at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html after I know what target name
> to use (the output of config.guess) and your glibc version.
>
> By the way, "cp" isn't a recognized language and is ignored; for 3.0.3
> the supported languages are c++, f77, objc, and java.
>
> Janis

Janis -

[quick response]

The VIA C3 is designed by Centaur Technology and sold by VIA (the
Taiwanese company known for x86 chipsets).  The C3 is an x86 processor
in the same sense that AMD makes x86 processors.  I'm working on patches
for the 3.1 release which will allow GCC to support the C3 -- we've
submitted the copyright assignment forms to FSF and I've been in contact
with rh.

Config.guess hasn't a clue yet -- I'll collect your requested output
ASAP (but possibly not 'till Monday).  I know where and how to patch the
compiler (mostly) - which files do I look at to teach config about the
C3?

Well, interestingly enough, using "cp", the 3.0.3 build didn't produce
fortran, or java, or objc executables.  a bug ???   I had problems with
the 3.0.3 build earlier in the week, and tried --enable-languages just
to see what would happen.

Thanks

--
Tom Crispin