Re: Remaining host configuration fragments

Robert Lipe wrote:

> Zack Weinberg wrote:
>

>>Some candidates for dropping:
>>

> [ Numbers added ]
>

>>1. Architectures which don't support ELF.
>>2. Architectures which were never updated to new varargs.
>>3. All configurations based on SVR3 or earlier.
>>4. All configurations based on 4.3BSD or earlier.
>>5. All configurations based on COFF.
>>

> #1 and #5 are somewhat related.
> For #3, there are active SVR3 systems that support ELF.  (Yes, I know it
>   sounds anachronistic.)
>

>>It is not easy to enumerate these.  For the first one, I have a list:
>>
>>  1750a  c4x      convex   elxsi  ns32k  romp  we32k
>>  a29k   clipper  dsp16xx  i960   pdp11  vax
>>

> The embedded guys might still care about i960.  Roaming through
> ChangeLogs, it looks more active than most of that list.
>
> I do applaud your goal of pruning dead code.
>
> RJL

Are you looking for more people to post their weekly test-results to
prove activity on coff configurations?  I don't believe cygwin supports
ELF; I'm sure Bill Gates would approve of withdrawing gcc support, but
it appears more active than many others, and more of us could post
test-results if that helps.

--
Tim Prince
tprince@computer.org