Re: Are the GCC lists intended to be open lists?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:23:08PM +0000, Neil Booth wrote:
>Joe Buck wrote:-
>>Another reason you may find yourself blocked from posting is if you
>>have a dynamic IP address assigned by a well-known ISP, and you
>>configure your machine to speak SMTP directly to gcc.gnu.org when mail
>>is delivered to gcc.gnu.org.  That will trigger a block; you need to
>>configure your mailer to relay through your ISP's SMTP server, which
>>will be set up to only relay for the ISP's own customers.
>
>Heh, my problem was the other way round.  My ISP's 13 servers were
>blacklisted at random intervals, depending upon how recently ORBS had
>discovered that one of Demon's customers was running an open relay,
>whose probe happened to have been sent through that server.
>
>That was fixed by my sending all mail direct 8-) I'm dial-up.

It's not a permanent solution, though, if we go back to using a
service that blocks DULs.  That was part of the motivation with
going to five-ten-sg.com.

If/when that happens again, then I assume that people sending email
from their DHCP'd IP addresses will be affected.

cgf