non coherent options, switches and descriptions

Hello

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed these subtle differences
inbetween the various GNU commands, I think some improvements can be
made in the following ones I have noticed so far while writing this email.

Binutils and GCC with no args

$ objcopy
Usage: objcopy <switches> in-file [out-file]

$ objdump
Usage: objdump OPTION... FILE...

$gcc
gcc: No input files

$ gcc --help
Usage: gcc [options] file...

Clearly i understand the different ways of writing options, but I think
it would be better to standardise the applications, if I was a newbie
this could be confusing. providing the "options" screen when no args are
passed is good design IMO

This is another example of the different args used, is there a standard
set of these?

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Mandrake Linux 8.1 2.96-0.62mdk)

$ objdump -v
objdump: invalid option -- v

$ objdump -V
GNU objdump 2.11.90.0.8

$ gcc -V
gcc: argument to `-V' is missing

To summerise, different "options" do different things, -v on objdump
could be set to the same as GCC, however gcc already has a use for -V.
 objdump and objcopy are in the same binutils package, yet objdump uses
"OPTION" and the latter uses "<switches>" this inconsitency should be a
quick patch to change i think..

Your thoughts please.

JG

I am not on either of these mailing lists so please CC me in any replys