Re: autoconfiscating top level directory -- info wanted

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:22:40AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I am autoconfiscating the top level directory, as suggested in the
> beginners projects list.

Wow.  We listed that as a beginner project?

> The ones in the gcc CVS tree are easy to find, but I know that there are
> others from other sources -- what others are this script used for?

For extraordinarily mind-bubblingly stupid political reasons, the GNU
toolchain is split into two CVS repositories: one containing GCC, and one
containing a bunch of other things:  binutils (the linker, the assembler,
etc), gdb, the Tcl/Tk front end for gdb, the portable C library called
newlib, the platform simulator, and a bunch of other stuff which I don't
remember.

Many GNU hackers glue these trees together when building tools; the scripts
and makefiles know about the sibling trees.  For example, if binutils and
gcc are in the same tree, then the top-level makefiles will build binutils
first, and then when gcc builds, it knows to use the freshly-built assembler
and linker and whatnot living in the next directory over.

The idea at the top-level is "whatever sub-packages happen to exist,
build them."

> (The
> current script assumes a huge list of tools including emacs 18, emacs 19,
> apache (!?!), and so I hope they aren't all still configured by this
> script!)

I honestly don't know about some of that stuff.  Obviously they're not
part of the toolchain[*], but I can see where the original authors might
have said to themselves, "hey, let's write a super-generic build script
that can configure arbitrary programs," or some such.

I've never heard of anyone taking advantage of this, but then I'm not a
system vendor.

[*]  Anyone who considers a web server as part of the toolchain is severely
     broken in the head.

Phil