Re: MMAP issue on cygwin

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 12:18:43PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>I think the proper resolution to this issue is to chuck out the
>elaborate tests in aclocal.m4 that try to pin down whether or not mmap
>works.  Instead, check whether the function exists at all, and then
>blacklist systems known not to work.  I believe that'd be just cygwin.

It's not just "cygwin".  It's "cygwin on Windows 95/98/Me".  It should
work ok on Windows NT.  IIRC, reverting to non-mmmaped cases caused a
severe performance penalty so the decision to avoid this should not be
taken lightly.

We've been torturously following along as you implement more stringent
mmap requirements.  We're looking into fixing this for 95 now, just
like we fixed every other mmap problem that gcc unearthed.

cgf