Moving towards GCC 3.1

According to our development model we are now in stage 3 of development
of GCC 3.1 (http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html):

  Stage 3

  During this period, the ONLY CHANGES that may be made to the compiler
  are changes THAT FIX BUGS. (Emphasis is mine.)

Still, I regularily see patches which do not resolve bugs in our GNATS
database, nor do they have a new testcases:

  [ChangeLogs removed from my first draft of this message]

I think our goal is/should be to have something that is very close to
a release when we actually perform the release branch, so most (if not
all) patches now should either fix a GNATS PR or come with a testcase
demonstrating a problem.

Gerald