Re: How to understand gcc

----- Original Message -----
From: "mike stump" <mrs@windriver.com>
To: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>; <pinkfloydhomer@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 12:21 AM
Subject: Re: How to understand gcc

> I think you can get answers as varied as people are.  I'll just toss
> out a few quick things that can keep you busy for 5 years learning.
>
> > From: "David Rasmussen" <pinkfloydhomer@yahoo.com>
> > To: <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> > Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:51:19 +0100
>
> > How can I learn how gcc works?
>
> :-)  I like simple, to the point questions that have simple answers.
> Unfortunately, yours is not.

I know :)

> > I have taken one compiler course at my university,
>
> Good first step.  In addition, you can take advanced algorithms
> classes, theory classes...  You can also go to the library and find

I have taken a lot of courses in these areas. I study computer science and
math.

> books on compilers and languages and read them all.

OK, which books? Some are better than others, I gather. "Modern Compiler
Implementation in ML" is not a good book, as aren't the others the author
has done, for other implementation languages.

> > and I own the "Dragon book"
>
> I'd recommend reading and understanding it, if you haven't yet.  :-)

I have read and understood it. Of course, reading this book again wouldn't
hurt.

> > But really, I would like to have some sort of general understanding
> > about the design of gcc,
>
> You didn't mention if you had read the gcc manual, see our web site,
> under documentation, and manual.  If you have not, you should.  After
> that, please read the comments in the code, after that please read the
> code.  After that, try fixing 100 bugs or doing a port.  Your
> understanding will improve when trying to fix bugs or while doing a
> port.

I haven't done all of those things. Things for me to do... :)

> Also helpful, write an interpreter and compiler from the ground up.

I have done that. In fact I have written a couple for assignments in various
courses, but the results were quite "messy". I would like to have a book
that I could read and do excercises from, that would help me build a good
compiler with a nice design.

> Lather, rinse, repeat.

:)

/David