Re: inlining default

David Edelsohn writes:

> 	Without inlining a -O0, GCC fundamentally uses a different source
> stream with and without optimization.  This makes debugging at -O0 more
> difficult.

David, I've been debugging g++-emitted code for about 11 years now, and
it feels quite natural to me.  I'd be irritated if the default changed,
as every Makefile I have would need to be changed.  Debugging is much more
difficult if the functions specified inline are inlined.

However, now that inlining is possible at -O0, you have the option of
specifying a flag to make it happen.  But what's important is that we
should not ask the users to change their Makefiles to avoid a change in
behavior that many would find undesirable.