Re: victory! I have a working crosscompiler!

Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:31:06AM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> >On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:11:47PM -0500, Adam Megacz wrote:
> >>Bo Thorsen <bo@sonofthor.dk> writes:
> >>And (for example), getpwent() is part of libc, yet (AFAIK) is pretty
> >>much meaningless on a Win32 system.

> getpwent does show up with cygwin.  Cygwin implements a substantial
> number of "UNIX" functions.

I was referring to Win32 (ie MinGW), not Cygwin.

I guess I'd summarize my question (and the answer supplied) as "yes,
some sort of C library will accompany every compiler, but on many
platforms it will not be glibc, nor will it look even vaguely like
glibc".

So, popping back up one level to my original question, we can assume
that every platform will have some sort of c++ library. However, will
libstdc++-v3 always be able to fill this role (unlike glibc), or is
libstdc++-v3 only suitable for POSIX systems (as is glibc)?

Again, when I say windows, win32, or "non-POSIX platforms", I don't
mean cygwin.

> I can't think of a good reason why you need to know precisely what
> your C library is called.  The library gets linked in automatically
> just like it does on any UNIX system.  You shouldn't have to figure
> out precisely what it's called.  Just use it.

There are lines in gcc's Makefiles that include the switch "-lc"
(implying the filename "libc.so").

Specifically, this happens when cross-compiling libstdc++-v3 from
linux to mingw32, without --disable-shared.

  - a